Well Hell....
Wednesday, 4 April 2018 04:48 pmA friend recently forwarded me a story that was rewritten and asked for my opinion. She was given the rewrite by the author and was asked to do a quick beta, comments etc. She sent it to me because she was having trouble scraping her jaw up off the floor.
The original was posted years ago. It was a gentle epic tale of romance, true love and enchanted soul mates. It was occasionally (okay more than occasionally) OCC, and she had the habit of doing the Fandom Name Dropping thing, but you forgave her all her fandom sins because the silly thing was just so goddamned sweet
What I just read is everything the original wasn't. I almost wrote and asked her who did the rewrite.
There is style evolution, but this trying to read Alice in Wonderland rewritten by Stephen King. We've gone from "members", and "cocks", to "juicy fat black dicks" (I never thought I'd miss purple spitting snakes). The story now contains (as a main focus) promiscuity, rapes, humiliation, cheating and, everyone's favourite, partner betrayal. Oh, and it's still pretty OCC.
Rape isn't my thing, so I admit bias... but a rape scene that lasts for a week, is described in excruciating detail, and is pointless to the plot? Not. My. Thing. It's not even in the same universe as my thing. When a few scenes later has the victim falling forever in love with the sole mate rapist? Motherfucking Hell.
I am not going to comment on the story, or email the author because I am not going to tell someone I loved the original, but though the rewrite was disgusting.
I got nothing.
The original was posted years ago. It was a gentle epic tale of romance, true love and enchanted soul mates. It was occasionally (okay more than occasionally) OCC, and she had the habit of doing the Fandom Name Dropping thing, but you forgave her all her fandom sins because the silly thing was just so goddamned sweet
What I just read is everything the original wasn't. I almost wrote and asked her who did the rewrite.
There is style evolution, but this trying to read Alice in Wonderland rewritten by Stephen King. We've gone from "members", and "cocks", to "juicy fat black dicks" (I never thought I'd miss purple spitting snakes). The story now contains (as a main focus) promiscuity, rapes, humiliation, cheating and, everyone's favourite, partner betrayal. Oh, and it's still pretty OCC.
Rape isn't my thing, so I admit bias... but a rape scene that lasts for a week, is described in excruciating detail, and is pointless to the plot? Not. My. Thing. It's not even in the same universe as my thing. When a few scenes later has the victim falling forever in love with the sole mate rapist? Motherfucking Hell.
I am not going to comment on the story, or email the author because I am not going to tell someone I loved the original, but though the rewrite was disgusting.
I got nothing.